Tell you what. I've got a MendelMax 1.5 3D printer sitting on my desk that I've assembled, but not yet gotten working quite right. I could potentially make cases and boards for either application, should I sort that monster out. A board like I've already designed [or a future revision] with matching enclosure for external tuner-type connection and one for internal HDD tray mounting and direct Molex harness integration. Everything is fully open source and boards are/will be be available directly from OSHPark. All components are SMD save for the Molex connectors to save costs and shrink overall size. All is available from the usual suspects, i.e. Mouser, DigiKey, JameCo, etc. The discretes are all 0805 package, so; easily solderable. The RN52 and PCM5102A are a bit tighter pitch, but I managed to hand solder 5 of the latter for Raspberry Pi DACs back-to-back and didn't muck up a single pin. I have a Weller WESD51 iron with ETS 1/64" conical tips for the dirty work. They're wonderful for tight pitch soldering.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but this RN52 piece is also capable of HFP and HSP profiles as well, so I could potentially add a microphone buffer into the next rev board to handle really bringing this little engineering miracle up to current standards.

Edited by FieroSTi (29/08/2016 23:18)