In reply to:

The player software does not currently have any way to implement #3 (going backwards through visuals), much as we'd all like to have it.

Well something does have the ability to go forward AND backwards in the visuals on the player.
When using the Sony stalk interface [which I have] the push and turn sequence on the stalks volume up/down buttons causes next/previous preset in Tuner mode and next/previous visual in Player and Aux in mode.
[when this knob is turned without pressing it in against the inner ring it does the Volume up/down (only) function]

This handling of the forward and backwards visuals selection may be done in the player itself - which would indicate that the other half of my original post about where the Stalk interface is actually handled - in the kernel or in the player - has sort of been answered and the Player software itself does it [given the current statements made about not being able to send the player a 'go back 1 visual' IR code.].

Still even being able to cycle Forward through the visuals via the front knob would be useful.

Still a question remains can we send the player 'fake' Stalk Interface commands, and if so, then we can implement forward and backward visuals that way can we not?

BTW: I also like the idea of it beting able to switch to another visual [either next or random visual] on either a fixed timer or a semi-random timer.

My original post stems from my belief that the wonderful capabilities of the knob up to now are being sadly underused - such a simple and elegant input device can allow users to do things with a turn of the knob that many button presses would be required any other way and we are not using it to its full potential.

[Seeing what the empeg guys did with the Stalk interface knob gives some idea of what can be achieved but thats only available if you have the tuner and the Stalk].