I messed up in my earlier posts. The fact that nobody noticed (or didn't say anything) shows how confusing the terminology can be. On my drive home tonight I smacked myself in the forehead and gave a Homer Simpson "Doh!"

I accidentally used the word "soundstage" as some other people had mentioned when describing how the L/R was working (and how it was working correctly). The fact is that even with a delay, if you want to look at the interface logically, it is actually your Virtual Listening Position that is changing.

So a delay to the left, moves the "perceived" soundstage to the left, but moves your virtual listening position to the right. That's where my goof in word choice was. And that's why some people were hearing things shift to what they thought was the incorrect side.

While driving I also thought of something that may be able to work as an easy interface/description:

Actual Listener Position:
|-----||==>|----------|
Virtual Shift +20cm Right

There we go. The slider is used to set where the listener is sitting. If you are left from center, you move it to the left. If you are right, you move it to the right. This is where the delay will be applied. It starts centered, so in the example above, the user has moved it a few posoitions to the LEFT. The arrow shows the Virtual shift direction. The line below shows the effect of the delay. A delay to the left, causes a virtual shift in sitting position of X cm to the right.

Anyone else find the above more straight forward that everything else we've been talking about?

Bruno