Possibly we are all aware when shifting, that LHD and RHD vehicles are catered for. When a car driver adjusts this setting they need to either know about accoustics and/or make some assumption on the programmer's perspective on the problem/solution. One easy to percieve situation for most people must surely be the (intuitive but subconcious) assumption that LHD cars need a left delay, RHD cars need a right delay? As a driver (and 1st time user) I tried to second guess the programmer in terms of whether 'Left Shift' meant move me left or whether I drove on the LHS of the car to start with - sure, it's obvious when you know the programmer's viewpoint but not so obvious as the 'consumer'.

What about, when shifting the centre to the left the display reminds us which side of the care we are (likely) occupying i.e. the display would read (for LHD):
Shift: 1.0 msec left
Distance: 33.30cm [LHD]

... try to think in terms of the driver when you read this (aren't car player settings driver centric after all?) e.g. [LHD] reminds us of the driver position when adjusting. If we go right, past zero, the display would show:

Shift: 1.0 msec right
Distance: 33.30cm [RHD]

I.e. the [LHD]/[RHD] text would automatically switch according to the driver's position in the car. I think there's space on the display to accomodate this.

Rue