Originally Posted By: tfabris
Are you able to open Task Manager during those five to ten minutes? Perhaps look for what is occupying the CPU's time during those five to ten minutes.
No.

Task Manger does do more than briefly show the hourglass, though. It goes to a black screen of death, then after another five or 10 minutes the regular desktop comes back with all the QuickLaunch icons. Sometimes the applications will then run, sometimes I have to wait a bit longer.

Windows File Explorer will always run immediately on bootup or at any time during the five to ten minute wait -- but it only shows a blank screen, no data within the window, and shortly thereafter locks up with a "Not Responding" error. If I try to close the window, I get black screen of death. No matter what happens, if I wait long enough (5--10 minutes), suddenly everything will return to normal and the computer runs perfectly after that.

I believe this behavior began the first time I booted up after the Windows 10 update referenced above. I could be mistaken, I might have gotten one or two problem-free boots after that, don't know for sure. And I don't know if it is only a power-off reboot that causes it, or if a restart would cause the same behavior. When I know it will be five or ten minutes of downtime every time, I'm reluctant to experiment.

I haven't tried booting up in Safe mode. That will be the next thing to try, I guess. No, the next thing I will do is a full system backup right now while the computer is still working!

tanstaafl.