Originally Posted By: tfabris
Do you use Acrobat for anything other than viewing PDF files?
Yes.

I assemble health insurance claims with it. My retirement health insurance covers us here in Mexico, but the service providers do not deal with insurance, I have to do the claims myself.

I have the insurance form downloaded and saved as a .png file, I fill in the data with my graphics editor (paint.net). I scan in all the relevant receipts, prescription forms, etc., also saved as .png files, sometimes the provider will email me a receipt in .pdf format. I use MS-Word to prepare a letter of explanation to the insurance provider, detailing the necessity of the claim, explaining whatever might not be evident from just perusing the claim form and the receipts. Then I combine all of that information (sometimes as much as 10 or more pages) into a single .pdf file and email it to the insurance provider.

I do a really good job with those claims. Over the past six years, I have achieved a reimbursement rate of 95.3% (counting co-pays and annual deductibles as payment) which I think is fairly respectable. And yes, I do indeed keep records in that much detail. I can reproduce any of the several hundred claims I have submitted over the last six years or so in a matter of one or two minutes.

tanstaafl.