Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Is there anyone here who can tell me how to remove that "Styles" block from the Office 2016 ribbon?
Yes. Me. It's buried pretty deep in the ribbon configuration page, but it's doable.

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Specifically, it does NOT search contents in .MOBI files.
Actually... I think it does. But .MOBI files aren't text. They look like this:

™GoldÃupƒxælŠèedé‚Ðcr‚0„óesk‚q€aSportsÅditor‚Ðd÷eˆà‚Àopening2mail÷hichàways‚xcumulat‚ðfЇàbyŽ8i‡Øs.Ìuke-John̓ ‚pgrunaƒstretch€pou„Èìanguidè€è,âlinkƒÉvacantŠÐƒÈ‡X‹©istenÀ…èsomeoneŒÈt„¨Šˆt€²‹Èˆ¤telephŽØŽ‡’7Ž‡'Yeah...ù€AÂlow‚roofïff,'ƒésaid‚_‚_‚_‚Xቭý÷a‹Ãnumb…±poŒÐ…XfÔŒ)un‘’lazeˆ eHiŒ°cŽYš rt.×hy‘íID‹ÁÿÔimes,퉈ife'síoƒ°r…Ê,’¸‰àa‹˜f‰prag“óÿƒó!€‘yŒPƒJneed‹pm„¨that†Jwhy.Ó¸considerŒyhi…ˆrr‹v˜,’ChenóJul‚zac

which makes it pretty unlikely that a Windows search will find a given phrase or even a word.

So I've gotten Office 2016 set up pretty much to my satisfaction now, but there is still one unsolvable problem. Adobe Acrobat version 9 is incompatible with Office 2016. If you try to import a file into Acrobat, it locks up the program. Office 2016 is only compatible with Acrobat DC and later (that's the subscription program where you pay $23 a month to have it on your computer) and Adobe says they have no plans to update earlier versions of the program.

While Adobe Acrobat 9 is not compatible with Office 2016, fortunately Office 2016 is compatible with Adobe Acrobat. So if I need to put an Office 2016 program into Acrobat, I save the MS-Word file as a PDF, and then Acrobat is happy to swallow it.

Bit by bit the computer is coming back to life. I'm probably at 40% of my previous functionality now, but it's the 40% that did at least 90% of the useful work.

tanstaafl.