Okay, I tried this just now, and it didn't seem to speed up the satellite acquisition time.

The usual modus operandi for this unit is (and it still does this even with the binary you sent):

- Insert player and start ignition.
- Enter GPSapp.
- Goes almost directly to "waiting for satellites" and sits there with no data for a long time.
- Long pause. Usually 2 minutes or so, but it's variable.
- One bar appears, blinks a bit as its signal strength changes.
- Long pause approx 2 minutes.
- Eight bars appear, most of which are at zero signal strength. 2-3 blinking bars but they are not white.
- Long pause approx 2 minutes.
- Finally some of the bars start to light up white and I get satellite lock and start getting intermittent data from the unit. It takes another ~2min to settle in and actually start delivering reliable data with 3-4 white bars.

Once this process has happened, I get reliable data from that point on, and I always have at least 4 bars lit (or more). So I know the GPS unit itself is working.

Interestingly, when I first go into GPSapp, I have valid lat/long numbers on the screen. The GPS itself seems to properly store and spit back the last set of Lat/Long coordinates that it recorded. So at least it's got SOME kind of memory. Perhaps it also has a realtime clock and the reason it's so slow to acquire is something unrelated to the clock? I'm sure that it doesn't store almanac data and that's probably a significant part of it.

Do you have any more insights?