Best description that I can give is that there seems to be some event, which could even be something like the player crashing and restarting. At this point Hijack forgets it was redirecting the buttons or even the screen. I've noticed once that I was dropped back into the player application, but gpsapp was in fact still running and still getting the button redirection. This seems to happen very infrequently and we either lose the screen overlay, or the button redirections, or both.

It happens reliably when I start gpsapp before starting the engine. The accessory line (perhaps even the main power) is switched off while the starter is active and the empeg goes into standby or possibly some 'emergency shutdown' state. Once the car has started and the power returns, the empeg comes back and shows the player screen (with the battery icon) instead of gpsapp and all the redirections are lost. It is definitely not a reboot cycle because I don't get the startup sequence.

At this point gpsapp is still running in it's main-loop waiting for button presses and serial input. It doesn't realize it is no longer in control and hijack isn't returning any errors in the ioctls, so I can't recover without pulling the sled to restart everything.
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp