In reply to:

Although track points are the last thing I'd want written out to disk, I could envision some other things it might write out to disk that would be useful...

I have a suggestion that it should be possible to build a route up from scratch simply by driving it & marking key places/waypoints as you drive (gpsapp could even do this automatically as well using each turn you do more than X degrees from the last heading as a "waypoint").

That way for those of us outside the US who cannot find a MapsonXXX equivalent we can record/create routes we use simply and easily.

Doing this requires that we be able to save these waypoints somewhere - now I don't like the idea of running my Empeg with rw mounted disks anymore than anyone else, so maybe we could look at creating a small ext3 filesystem somewhere that can be left rw mounted permanently for apps like the GPs one to save stuff to as and when required.

Either that or we dust off the old talk from some time ago about a special "raw" disk driver that reads and writes disk blocks itself directly [no need for mounting the special filesystem then.

Given that The latest hijack now includes ext3 support, maybe this is the time to make use of it?

Can't think of any other way to get permanent storage on the Empeg can you?