Quote:
Regarding The Abyss...I enjoyed the movie until the resuscitation (sp?) scene. CPR didn't work, the defibrillator didn't work, but slapping and yelling 'Live damn you, live!' brings the person back? Please!

Allow the guy a bit of licencia poetica (though, something like third hit by defibrilator, adrenaline into heart or something similarly desperate would work better; perhaps not for all of the audience...)

Quote:
It was downhill after that. I thought the end was pretty weak. After they resurface from 1000's of feet down and don't die a horrible decompression death: "It must have been something they did!"

Hey, remember that "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Deus ex machina is a time honored dramatic device. After all, those luminous chaps built their spaceships from water - what is a little manipulation of nitrogen bubbles compared to that?

BTW, I just watched the first part of a most unusual work: film of catastrophe that got its science right, so I was not anoying my friends with constant harping about nonsensical physics. Producer is, no less, BBC with Discovery channel and couple of others. Acting is decent, dramaturgy typical for such type of movies, but, as I said, science looks right.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue