Quote:
A cart full of beer? Still doesn't make any sense except as a contrived plot device ensuring he'd have enough for the entire construction crew.

Perhaps he was in a hurry, didn't know what kind Arthur would like just to drink then, and filled the cart from the beer aisle. Money was no object of course, as it was going to be all worthless in a matter of minutes.

Quote:
This was not something that had to be changed from the book to have that scene work effectively in the movie.

I think it did need to be changed.

In the book, Ford's conversational tactic was weak at best. And I never bought that Arthur would have walked away from his house just because Ford temporarily confused Prosser. Yes it was a clever little conversation, yes it was classic Douglas Adams, but it was one of those things that works better in print than on the screen.

It's just better on film to *see* something happening than it is to watch to people have a clever conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I like clever conversations. Almost all of Kevin Smith's films are clever conversations. But they aren't action sci-fi movies either.

I enjoyed the clever conversation when it was in the book. Okay, so I saw and enjoyed that joke the way Douglas wrote it the first time. Now I can see an enjoy a completely different joke at that point in the story because the delivery context is different. I don't see a problem with that.