Quote:
I'm not saying it doesn't bother me. I'm sure I sometimes bother my wife complaining about such stuff, especially on the same technology front as you, but there's a point at which it's obviously not intended to be real.

I mean, how much further is it to point out that there's no Nakatomi building in LA or a NYC cop named John McLean?

Agreed, we are supposed "suspend our disbelief" to a certain degree and agree to the rules in the author's universe, and that works if applied consistently. However, what irritates me are details where injuring the reality plays no dramatic purpose (or could have been achieved by alternative, more realistic plot device) - it is just author's lazyness. I cannot find now a good example, so instead a nearly universal "irritant": computer interfaces: one would think that by now most of the audience has seen one or two, so why keyboards still beep or click on every keystroke? In relatively realistic CSI series of shows (apart from amount of luck investigators have looking for evidence) XREF, IR spectrometry or cromatography instruments and their displays and printouts look quite plausible; so why is the program that tries to match fingerprints or searches this or that database emiting annoying beeps and buzzes as it works? Why is it flashing images it is comparing (that would certainly make it slower), instead of, say, displaying the count of objects processed or suitably impressive progress graphics or something like that, only displaying tentative matches for human confirmation? Surely dramaturgy would not be hurt if GUI in use were recognisable? Bah!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue