I just had to update this for all three and five people who like the Revolution. Obviously this is very early in the process, so who knows if this will possibly remain true, but check out this news story.

Notice the part about free downloadable classic games. Again, it's very early, and given that you have to pay $20 for the GBA version of Super Mario Bros 1, I wouldn't be suprised if they changed their minds. I also wonder how many games there could possibly be at the launch. Will they just go through their whole collection and put the whole damn thing online? That seems highly unlikely. As much as I'd like to believe that I could download hundreds and hundreds of games for free, all at once, what are the chances of that happening? They'd never sell any new games to the classic Nintendo gamers out there (myself included).

Here's something else I'd been wondering about from the first announcement of this downloadable content: what's to stop third party games? I wish there had been a direct quote in that article, but the author writes "Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free." That seems to imply (to my ears, at least), that they fully plan to make it possible to play other companies' games as well. Imagine Sega's entire back catalog on a Nintendo device. SMS, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, etc. Obviously this is a lovely dream, but frankly, I far more enjoy watching this develop than figuring out whether the PS3 will be $400 or $550.

Anyway, sorry for bringing this thread back, and I know I'm a little biased (just call me a fanboy), but I just had to share