Quote:
I didn't know you could run unsigned code on the PSP. Or did you mention that before?

I believe it's limited as to which units can do it. Personally, I've only seen the gameboy emulator, which looked terrible.

Quote:
And regardless of whether it's in the hardware or as software, it's still pretty much a one-time cost. Of course, they could also do something like add a bit onto it that reads some sort of crypto signature to help prevent unauthorized games from being run on it.

Exactly. I keep thinking of Midway Arcade Treasures. I went looking for that the other day at two game stores, neither of which had it (for the Gamecube, at least). It figures, really. I can't imagine there was much demand for Paperboy and Rampage among [sarcastic]all those kids playing the Gamecube[/sarcastic]. It cost money to port those old games over, package them, and ship them and keep them on store shelves. This method costs them hardly anything, and becomes a big selling point. Hell, even if they charge a little, they still have the largest library of any console in history (except maybe the SP?).

It also means that in one area, they're a step ahead of Sony. Given that they didn't specify a generation of games, I assume that everything but the Gamecube games (which still need the discs) will be free. That means that while you still have to pay for PS1 games, N64 games are completely free. We're talking two of the best Zelda games.

Who here thinks that Nintendo will make available all the pre-GBA games? By the time the Revolution ships, I can't imagine they'll still be shipping many GBA's that can play the older games (the micro can't).