Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: redrum
As far as creating monopolies the government is helping to do that by prohibiting insurers from sell across state lines decreasing competition a raising costs.

Yes, the smaller insurance companies can't compete against the big boys now, so, clearly, giving them a bigger market to be washed away in would help.

As point of comparison, when I was a kid, there were dozens of five-and-dimes and hardware stores around town. Then Home Depot, Lowes, and Wal-Mart moved in and they're all gone. It's certainly not because Home Depot and Lowes are cheaper now. I'm sure I never had to pay 43¢ (or the equivalent in '80s cents) for a screw. And Wal-Mart keeps their prices down by exploiting everyone they come in contact with. Yay for the free market!

Maybe if we had one government run hardware store that sold 43¢ screwdrivers to everyone that would be the answer. But wait, I don’t want a cheap ass screwdriver. But since we all have to have one you don’t have a choice. Or maybe you could buy the cheap ass screwdriver you don’t want, then buy one you do want. Unfortunately now you are now being taxed at 50% because you can afford a better one because you worked hard and made some money.

But then you figure, heck with it, why try, why work. I’ll just quit take my now free 43¢ screwdriver, brink beer and do crack all day.

There is bad on both extremes. I just lean toward less government interference. Luckily I can still vote for others that feel that way as well.