Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: maczrool
Why must we dismantle the free market insurance system just to get 30-40 million people insurance and treat pre-existing conditions?

While I'd not be opposed to that, I see nothing of the sort in this bill. The bill applies restrictions as to how insurance companies can treat their customers (minimal coverage, pre-existing conditions, recission, etc.), and allows the general populace to act as a group for the same sort of collective bargaining that existing groups (employees, etc.) currently do.

Can you be explicit about what sort of free-market dismantling you're referring to?

To be clear, there is no provision for any government-run health plan in the bill.

When you tell a business what sort of products it can offer and in fact what sort of product its customers 'shall' buy, it fails to be a free market system. I suppose you believe the insurance companies have exclusions and limits simply because they are greedy inhumane assholes with no concern for human life. The problem is, they are businesses whose purpose is to make money; they owe this to their stockholders/owners. They have low margins as it is. If you increase their costs by applying restrictions, forcing them to take on customers that they know from the start will lose them money they could very easily be forced out of business.

Stu