Originally Posted By: hybrid8
The thing is, I want to be able to buy an admittedly small amount of pre-packaged food, and I want it to have as little sodium as possible. The problem is, there really isn't all that much available. When you do find something with less sodium, the company responsible treats it as a specialty item and charges more for it. Campbell's soup for instance.

I'm sorry TJ, but what you're seeing the FDA doing here is advocating for the people.

Pick your battles and voice these opinions for causes that actually mean something. Where injustices are being perpetrated on a regular basis. As I've mentioned countless times before, I see a lot of people complaining about the government when they're clearly doing the work of the populace, but I don't see the same people speaking out against illegal seizure and arrest, military spending, the patriot act, slush funds, governing by dollars, etc. Those are some of problems with "big government" one should be most concerned with.

Sorry, but the FDA is advocating for some people at the expense of others. YOU want low-sodium food, so rather than creating a company to make that food for people like you, you think it's OK to use the legal system to force everyone to eat according to your preferences (or at least manufacture according to your preferences). What you're describing is mob rule, where the current fashion of the majority is foisted on the rest of the people. It's fine if you believe that's OK, but the American system was created explicitly to prevent this. As I've said before, our system is the way it is to protect those with unpopular or deviant values (as long as they don't harm others). You are arguing for collectivism, which I find immoral, anti-liberty, anti-enlightenment, and anti-American.

And you have seen me speak out against all of the other injustices you mention. The reason to focus on things like salt bans is because "liberty is seldom lost all at once." When thinking people like you and Bitt can support this trivial stuff, then things like the Patriot Act are inevitable. Salt ban is easy to understand and argue the philosophical points of view. It's a microcosm. I'm making a philosophical argument, not a practical one and simple cases make the philosophical points easier to understand. I guess what I'm saying is that I *am* concerned about the big government issues to mention, but I believe that the solution is a philosophical change.