Originally Posted By: maczrool
You fail to mention anything about employer contributions to health plans which definitely hide much of the cost borne by employee health plan members.

Yeah, because it's not relevant. I'm not sure exactly what your point is, but at a guess, I'm not saying that the cost paid by employees is less than what's paid on an individual policy; I'm saying that the total amount, employee plus employer contributions, is less.

Originally Posted By: maczrool
In my case I have one of those much maligned cadillac plans that has all kinds of stuff I will probably never use. It's not by choice, but rather because it's all that is offered. I myself don't pay that much for it, but my employer pays through the nose. I will probably have to get off of it once I am taxed at 40% (that would be $4000 in tax) of it since it will no longer be cheaper than buying it on my own.

That implies that your healthcare insurance costs either $18,500 a year if it's just you, or $33,000 a year if it includes anyone else. (Assuming you aren't in a "high-risk" profession.) That's, uh, some expensive health insurance. Chances are that your employer is really just pretending to pay you more by giving you this giant healthcare package, and getting out of paying some payroll taxes. I'd be very surprised if your employer didn't find you an $8,500/$23,000 plan before 2013 rolls around.