However, this piece by John Perry Barlow talking a lot about what I believe that paper shows, before that paper came to light. He claims to have insights into Cheney's thought processes based on their work together and against each other.
Okay, I read that, and I'm still not understanding how a reasonable person can think that the ideals espoused in the paper would actually be executed, with the entire nation (and the entire world) watching. Dick Cheney was free to speak his mind back then, and sign his name to anything he wanted. Now he's the vice president, and some of the other people on that list have lesser positions... So they are now accountable for what they say and do.

I think your conspiracy would hold a lot more water if that paper was dated during a time when those people were decision-makers. Now that they are decision-makers, their decisions have to be palatable to the American people and the International community, regardless of what their ideals are. So I stand by my statement that the paper cannot be interpreted as a blueprint for what the current Bush administration actually plans to do -- it's just a historical snapshot of what a bunch of right-wingers wanted to do a couple years ago. With the whole world watching, there's no way they would actually attempt to initiate a hostile takeover of the entire Middle East.