Quote:
No way to add ringtones. No way to get to the SIM card (?) or battery.

Ringtones are rumored to be part of iTunes 7.3, likely to be pushed out here soon, but no real confirmation on this. Seem like a big step back to not allow users to put their own ringtones on, but I'm sure it's one of those features they bumped to either right at release or in an update.

SIM card access appears to be on the top of the device, however the SIM the phone comes with needs to be activated first to unlock the device in some way. Odds are out of the box the device will be locked to AT&T just like any other phone from a GSM provider here in the US. If they don't unlock them for international travel, etc, I'm sure someone will find a way or force the issue.

The battery, yeah, not user removable kinda sucks. As long as they are pretty easy about allowing replacements somehow, I'm not too concerned. I've never bought a second battery for any of my phones yet.

So far from what I've seen, I'll be getting one day one. Kinda dreading the whole stand in line aspect, but a few coworkers seem interested too, so time should go by quickly enough.

Apple did release a video about the keyboard here. It details the intelligence in it and for typing normal english, should work out really decently. Not only does it do basic spell check, but it also is doing positional checking. The example they showed in the video is the word "time". Typing out "tim" causes it to search the dictionary for the next possible letters, and enlarge the touch area around likely characters. So the e ends up having a larger spot to tap it, while w and r next to it shrink. The on screen graphic however doesn't change, just the touch area it registers for each letter.