Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The point of being able to remove the battery is that you can, absolutely positively, shut the thing off when necessary.

What am I missing here? Does the power button on your phone not completely turn your phone off?

I doubt any currently produced cell phone really shuts down when the power button is pressed.

I'd suspect that pretty much every phone shuts down when the power button is pressed. Users get annoyed when things run down when they're supposed to be "off". Being at the pointy end of phone development recently, I can assure you that there's no magical way to "stay on the network" without drawing less standby power than... being in standby. If there was, that'd be a great commercial advantage over our competitors

GSM phones also have that annoying habit of breaking into badly-designed audio amps when they transmit, which is a huge red flag for any sort of activity (the network registration part is always done at full tx power levels).

That's not to say that there aren't hacked firmware loads that will turn innocuous nokias into remote listening devices - I've seen them advertised - but factory firmware is likely to be very safe. There's a lot of 3rd party testing that has to get done before you can release a phone.

Of course, maybe there's an agent standing over me as I write this... or maybe not!

Hugo