Quote:
Put a geothermal exchange in that bad boy and your heat/AC utilities will vanish. I've heard concrete homes have excellent thermal properties.

Heat/AC utilities will not be a problem. The climate there is so temperate that homes are normally built without means to either heat or cool them, and in fact the lavish B&B we stayed at over Christmas had the kitchen/dining area completely open to the outdoors with no provision for closing it off.

Electricity, water, and sewer will by my utility expenses. Electricity is expensive enough there that solar electrical generation may be cost effective. I don't know what the local regulations would be about installing my own septic system, but since my property is located only about 10 feet above the lake level (i.e., local water table) I don't think it would be possible in any case. There is a well on the property, but the water is not potable. Perhaps with adequate filtration/purification system...

The above scenarios would only take place if things went really badly. To start with I'll be on the utility grids like everyone else.

tanstaafl.