Originally Posted By: tonyc
Having seen what vile things internet fuckwads will say under their real names via Facebook, Google+, etc., I'm entirely unconvinced that [ano|pseudo]-nyimty is a major driver of this behavior. It certainly doesn't help things, but I think it gets far more blame than it deserves.
Very much agreed. Some of the most vicious parts of Gamergate are the people unafraid of their name being attached to it. Such as a certain B rate actor who coined the term and doesn't deserve to be named.

I also disagree with Dan's point that fixing this issue will result in a loss of freedoms from where we are today. We as a society have already accepted harassment is not protected speech, and have laws reflecting this. Those who are targeted by this mob want enforcement of the current laws. And they want to stop victim blaming or old bad advice of "just don't go online" or "don't feed the trolls".

This situation for me exposed how badly behind the times our law enforcement is. Oakland PD for example had no clue what SWATting was while being a part of Silicon Valley. A target I know was saved from their door being broken down and possibly injured only because they called ahead of the threat being made.

Quite honestly one of the best ways to solve this issue is for people to stand up more. Any hints of harassment at work, at home, or in public must be addressed, even when it's subtle or possibly even unconscious. People have to want to fix this on their own and join others, instead of waiting for someone else to do something. The internet not policing it's own communities effectively (and I myself am guilty of this with the community here in the past) allows this behavior to fester and reach the toxicity it has.