Originally Posted By: Cris
I started to read the Wiki page, which lead me to this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

Within the first 5 minutes I started to think I was disagreeing with a lot she was saying. So I guess that puts me in the misogynistic sexist pig camp?

Disagreeing with Anita doesn't make one sexist, it makes them a person with a differing opinion of a critic, or someone who doesn't believe the facts she presents in her series alongside her critiques. However Gamergate didn't start with Anita. It was started by Zoe's ex. Many in Gamergate have tried to distance themselves from the origin of this situation, knowing how it paints them in a deserved bad light. And others expanded their harassment to Anita after starting with Zoe, merging with some who were already harassing Anita when Zoe's situation exploded.

What Anita is discussing has nothing to do with Gamergate, so beyond that I won't comment on her work in this thread.

The video series here explores how Gamergate latched onto people like yourself who disagree with Anita and turned them into part of the harassment crowd: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJA_jUddXvY62dhVThbeegLPpvQlR4CjF (The video I dropped in the best videos of 2015).

And that above part is why you should care. To be more aware of how someone with a hidden agenda (Zoe's ex) can spin a fantastical tale that launches a harassment campaign you might not even realize you are a part of. Being more aware of these tactics has me viewing some other situations in a different light now.

Originally Posted By: Cris
I guess by professional victim I mean anyone who profits financially from putting themselves in a position deliberately opposed in order to gain. Which I can already see is the case on YouTube (the assumption being both sets of videos I have watched today ran ads before I could view).

Zoe definitely didn't have a breakup with her ex to make money off the situation. Anita did not produce her series and position herself as a critic to profit off her harassment.