Originally Posted By: Tim
Or any supporters of Trump being immediately declared as a racist, xenophobic, homophobic, antisemitic misogynist?

I participate in a forum called "Quora" which consists of a whole lot of people who answer questions on any topic to the best of their ability. The subjects range from quantum mechanics to politics to... you name it, and there are some pretty smart people there. Kind of like here, I guess.

Anyway, here is a question and answer that addresses your concern in an interesting fashion.

Why are many people so hostile and intolerant towards those who voted Trump? Especially on Quora. By state, the people chose Trump. The majority of those are not white, racist misogynists. But many users on this site refer to them as such. Why?

Jim Ryan answers:

A backpacker in a small Irish village ducked into a rustic little pub to escape the rain. To his surprise, the place was empty except for one grey-haired man slouched over his glass of whisky. Soon the old guy broke the silence:

“Do you see this pub here? I built it with me own hands, felled the trees, finished the lumber and nailed each and every plank in place. Do they call me O’Mallory the pub builder?

You see that stone wall out there? I pried each and every stone out of the potato fields, carried them a half-mile and set ’em all in place just so. Do they call me O’Mallory the stone wall builder?

D’ye see that pier out in the lake? I drove those pilings deep into the mud with the sweat of me brow and the strength of me arm so it would last an age. Do they call me O’Mallory the pier builder?

But… you fuck one goat…

A vote for Trump is that one goat. It has a way of eclipsing any virtues you might claim for yourself. Whatever private, deep-down goodness you can point to, the fact remains: you voted for the Cheeto-hued fascist sexual predator whose election has neo-Nazis wetting themselves with glee. And you thought this was a good thing? Sorry to be a meanie about this, but it’s hard to respect that decision or credit what are undoubtedly the other good points of the person who made it. I’m sure they exist, but I find myself in the position of O’Mallory’s Irish neighbors. It’s hard to get Old Nannygoat’s bleating cry out of my ears.

'Nuff said.

tanstaafl.