Originally Posted By: Cris
Unintentional.
This is great to hear, and I do believe it.

It worries me you would just to such conclusions so quickly.
I appreciate the concern. Due to the proximity to what happened and some other life crisis situations over the past 2 years, I get defensive much quicker then normal. It's an unfortunate side effect that I'm working on correcting in myself. And it's part of why I'm handing control over the boards to someone else.

My interest in this topic is not great enough that I want to understand every detail. I have nothing but a mild curiosity, and I was hoping I could ask questions freely amongst people I have met face to face and known for many years without having my character brought into question.
I want to apologize for the attack on your character. I would still encourage you to watch the series above still, as beyond the scope of Gamergate, it talks about some interesting aspects of human psychology. Gamergate was just one named incident of many that are happening out there. Tony here has some exposure to a fork of it that also went after science fiction writers. The internet does enable these situations to happen easier, due to the ease of communication it enables. It's something that we all will have to grapple with somehow as our world continues to join together more as a community.

At no point did I deny anything had happened, I just asked a question about what is supposed to have happened.
Your statement earlier of "I can't really figure out this harassment has taken place." came across as a denial to me. Gaslighting was a common tactic by those in Gamergate to cover up their abuse. Their denial of such harassment while engaging in it would then lead those not participating in the harassment while still remaining allied with GG to unintentionally help cover it up.

A slang term of Sea-Lioning came to be used during the Gamergate controversy. The goal behind this was to make it appear Gamergate supporters were more rational and civil then they really were to the wider audience, and attempting to get the wider audience to ignore the people under attack as "uncivilized and unwilling to engage in honest debate". Sea-Lioning has parallels with "just asking questions".

Again I understand your responses were just coincidentally mirroring some of these tactics. I raise them here not as an attack on you, instead to help you and others here understand the reactions some many have.