Quote:
Quote:
Sadly the illumination kit does NOT work with the extenders. We will try to find out why, but no idea so far. It tries to come on, with a flash about 2 seconds after setting the level, but it does't stay on.

Stu

Mmm.. I'll debug that once I get my own set of extenders from Patrick. First things to do are (1) check the +5V level at the display board, and ensure the capacitor-fix has been applied to the display board.

Cheers

Very interested to see this issue come up. I am rooting for you!

It is a coincidence, but last eve I was noodling what I might do to situate the display in the WRX. My first thought as a custom, rectangular aluminum faceplate with a 1/16" smoke lens. But then I started to wonder: What if I made the whole faceplate out of 1/4" smoke polycarbonate? Then I started wondering what might happen if I tried to put some EL backlight material behind the lexan/polycarb -- rather than light the *buttons*, light the *outline* of the buttons. I know EL material comes in custom shapes (watchfaces, say) but can you simply cut it?

One part of the appeal is that even a jamoke like me can machine some polycarb, and I could afford to throw away some failed experiments. Even if the illuminated buttons are made to work, I might pursue using this material for the install.

P.S. I am pleased to see the expected pricing on this. At a time when I shouldn't be spending the money, it is going to be less painful than I might have reasonably expected. Thanks!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.