Quote:
Where does the expense come in?

I only see the Maxim parts contributing any major expense if they are hard to get. Most of the other bits are fairly easy to get parts aren't they from a quick scan of the parts list.

You know, I was thinking the same thing the other day. For what they are, they sure are expensive! But first let me say that easy to get does not necessarily mean cheap. The transceivers are not cheap parts even if they are easy to get. The connectors are also unbelievably expensive. And yes the PCBs are the most expensive component due to the low volume. Are there cheaper sources for the parts? Possibly, but rather than try to squeeze out every last dime from the list, I went for readily available and easy to find to get this project underway as quickly as possible.

I am admittedly charging some for my time to assemble these, but it like all the other elements that make up this are worth something. Do I let the clock run for every minute I spend on these? No. I've posted the parts list with supplier part numbers, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth what the asking price is. Since profit is not the object here, you are more than welcome to purchase the PCBs at cost and source everything yourself. If you can make them for less than $260, please do! I may join Jim and buy one from you.

The Empeg stuff is becoming a smaller and smaller portion of what we do here, so really that I found the time at all is fairly remarkable.

Stu

Edited by maczrool (24/03/2007 01:35)