Quote:
And, by the way, is there any way to re-route the connector on the empeg end, so that I could replace the "original" front panel with a blank (with no cable sticking out)?

My problem is that I want to leave the empeg in the original DIN-size slot in the Morgan - but it is really far in and low down under the dash, so it's impossible to see properly when driving. But I also don't want any geeky-looking flat cables protruding from the panel...

The empeg end board (transmitter) is very simple, and normally mounts in place of the display board. It is more recessed, but the connector will still protrude to about flush with where the front of the original display was. The ribbon cable connector then plugs into this, and protrudes significantly from there.

Reversing this board is not really feasible, because (1) it's internal ribbon cable is too short (and is soldered onto the transmitter board), and (2) the connector would then hit the drive tray and drives -- it's centered in the opening, so it will hit *both* drives. Had it been offset, then it could fit internally more easily with a single drive setup.

The solution I see to this, is to hack it up. There is no circuitry outside of the middle 8cm or so of the transmitter board. So the board could be cut up and made *much* smaller, and then adapted to mount in the drive tray of a single drive system.

Again, the short internal ribbon cable on it is an issue, and will need to be replaced with a proper pin header and a new longer cable with connectors on each end. Alternatively, a small slot could be cut into the middle of the drive tray (harmless) to allow the stock short cable to feed through to the mainboard underneath. I like the latter.

Cheers

Mark ("a solution for anything, almost").

Edited by mlord (31/03/2007 11:43)