Quote:
iPhone owners, can you comment on the utility of the device WITHOUT internet access? Can I.... download Google Maps, or some static map content (like all those city guides for Palm)?

As far as I know, cellular data costs $50/month; more than my high speed cable modem. But you mention it's down to $20/month? That's decent, but "pay per meg" would be so much better for me.

The Google Maps app is pretty much an online only thing. While it does cache the last view a bit, any interaction will require a download via wifi or edge. The $20 a month internet plan is pretty much required, both for the usability of the device, and also from the contract point of view when activating the device. My usage so far is almost 30mb downloaded, though that is while I am still in the "ooo, new shiny toy" phase.

For me, the device isn't about matching checklists on tech sheets against the Nokia N95 (a phone not even available to me here in the US anyhow) or other phones out there. It's about the usefulness to me and my current environment. It's integration with apps I already use on my Mac has been a big part of why I considered it. In the end it is more about the attention to detail that Apple put into the product. Sure, it barley does more then my old RAZR phone was capable of, but the implementation is something I can actually stand to use on a daily basis.