Quote:
Those that are naysayers - do you NOT have a need for this functionality, or have you found solutions that work well for you? If it's the latter, I'd like to hear what you use.

I use a 15" powerbook tethered to a samsung A900. The powerbook really is instantly on when coming back from sleep mode. Dialing the bluetooth connection takes another 10 secconds. At that point it's not just "the internet without mouse hover events, without flash, without search, without a keyboard, on a slow edge connection" it's just "the internet". My email? Well, it's the same interface it always is. Smart folders, filters, everything. The web? All my tabs are there, just where I left them. Instant messaging? Adium doesn't charge per message.

Yes, I have to carry a laptop around with me. Heavy? Not compared to the backpack of books I was used to as a student. Inconvenient? Not really. I've got a Tumi "messenger bag" for professional meetings, a tumi backpack for professional meetings whem I'm going to be carrying it long distance, and a timberland backpack with a SFBags Waterfield Designs top loading sleeve when I want to look like someone who isn't carrying anything of value.

It works for me. Unlimited 3G data is the key for me. GRPS/Edge just doesn't cut it, and not having the option on top of that really kills it.

I'm sure the iPhone is beautiful. I'm sure it makes a great phone, and I'd love to have one with 3G data and tethering, but I'm not willing to pay the price, I'd much rather upgrade the powerbook to a macbook pro.

Matthew