Quote:
I feel like anyone who thinks it's not for them needs to just try it for a little bit. If they still think they don't want it, there's a good chance at that point they're just confused or lying to themselves.

"Think they don't want it?" How about actually not wanting it?

I had to go to the Apple Store yesterday to get my Macbook Pro's power adapter replaced. While waiting for a "genius", I spent 10-15 minutes playing around with an iPhone. I gotta tell you, I'm just not feeling the excitement. The keyboard is worse than I expected, and my expectations were set *very* low. Having spent six months trying to learn how to type on a Fingerworks Touchstream keyboard (a much bigger multi-touch surface) I pretty much knew what to expect, but I was still surprised by how difficult it was to get even within a key of the key you're trying to hit on the iPhone keyboard (and my hands are about average in size.) No matter how good the auto-correct gets, it's not going to be able to help you if half of the letters you type aren't recognized correctly.

I really think folks are being oversold by Apple on how much faster their typing will get with practice, and I'd be shocked if the ceiling on iPhone typing speed is half of that of a seasoned Treo or Blackberry user. I recognize that flipping through photos, listening to music, browsing Google Earth, and so forth require little to no typing, but people who use their smart phones for email, IM, and note-taking on a regular basis may find the iPhone much less useful than a device with hard keys.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong and eat my words. And there are many other good things to say about the device. However, I count myself in neither the "confused" or "lying to myself" category, so I submit to you that there are many other reasons one would not want this device, at least in its present (first generation) form. I really wasn't going to jump in and rain on the iPhone glowing praise parade, but it borders on haughtiness to say that people who don't like the device are likely to be confused or lying to themselves. Different strokes for different folks, y'know?