I use Virgin Mobile prepaid service. I don't like to talk on the phone at all, cell phone or land line, so I don't use it that much. Virgin requires that you pay them at least $20 every 3 months, and I usually don't even use that much service, at, worst case, 25¢ a minute. And they don't expire minutes, so if I have a heavy usage period, I end up just using up the money I've stored up previously. Even better, other than charging sales tax on the money I put into the phone, there are no other hidden fees. There's a charge for text messages, but I don't use them at all. And there's no contract. (Hm. Looks like they don't offer this plan anymore; I'm grandfathered in. There's an 18¢ per minute plan, but there are monthy "surcharges".)

Of course, that implies that I talk on my cell phone an average of less than 30 minutes a month, which is not a problem for me at all. I probably don't use 30 minutes of time on my home phone (which is VoIP with Voicepulse at $15 a month). I spend less than half of an iPhone user's bill on my cell phone and my home phone combined.