Quote:
I feel like anyone who thinks it's not for them needs to just try it for a little bit. If they still think they don't want it, there's a good chance at that point they're just confused or lying to themselves.

Wow. How remarkably arrogant.

I played with it for about 5 minutes at the Apple store last night and was totally underwhelmed. I don't doubt that the phone interface is good, but, unlike you, I don't need a full sentence telling me which button will do what when I receive another call. For that matter, I intentionally turn off call-waiting on even my home phone because it's rude to the person you're talking to. The new person can leave a message.

I don't really have the inclination to look at satellite photos all the time. (Maybe if you're in church playing with your phone you don't need to be in church in the first place?) Nor do I have the desire to stare at photographs for days while out of the house. (Or in the house, for that matter.)

In addition, the "keyboard" really is atrocious. Making notes is one of the few features that I would use regularly, but it took me several minutes to enter a single sentence. And, yes, I did try to let the phone autocorrect, and it worked sometimes, but it couldn't even correct "Rhe" properly. And I was defending it a few hours earlier saying it couldn't really be that bad. Maybe there's some calibration for it, but, even if there is, the autocorrect is terrible, and it seems that people who do defend it still say that you have to rely on it.

That said, Google Maps is neat, and the integration from Google Maps to the phone is neat. But it's not worth $500 for the phone and $60 a month for the service. My current cell phone I got for $100 several years ago and I pay about $7 a month for the service. I just don't see that much utility in it.

In summary, if someone gave it to me for free and I could still pay $7 a month, yeah, I'd take it. I'm sure it's a good phone. But if it was free and I had to pay that much for the service, I would not accept it.

Edited by wfaulk (10/07/2007 13:28)