Originally Posted By: mlord

In other words, that line looks *really* noisy to me. So your next step might be to disconnect all inside wiring, and have the modem directly on the telephone wire entry point (whatever it's called over there), and measure again.

Here in the UK, on BT Wholesale DSLAM's on the upto 8Mbps product a low SnR figure is actually a good thing, I must admit I don't fully understand the reasons for this but the theory is that if a line is good quality, ie stable then the noise margin can be set low to allow more room on the frequencies for data and less room for errors. It's the exact opposite to what you'd think but it does seem to work pretty well.

On the old upto 2Mbps BT product it was the other way around, and was much easier to fault if you did have a line fault to chase. Them were the days smile

As AndyM's results show it's well worth looking at your wiring if you have stability problems. The wiring beyond the master socket causes an imbalance in the circuit which can cause all sorts of issues. So cutting it out or isolating it with one of the filters I linked to can only be a good thing.

Now, if I hook my Speedtouch up direct to the cable coming out of the ground at the front of my house with a couple of croc clips etc... I can get 7Mbps sync, but I don't think that set up would last too long around here smile

Cheers

Cris.