Originally Posted By: Archeon
So now I'm considering installing Microsoft Security Essentials for the anti-virus part, and buying Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro since the pro version comes with a live scanner.

Whatever you end up doing, don't install two real-time virus scanners. MSE does live scanning as well.

At the end of the day, the best antivirus is good user behavior. I've been rocking MSE for years now, and haven't had a virus in that time, but none of these programs are 100%. It's always possible for a user to do something that gets them infected.

The reason I decided to go with MSE was that it was the most lightweight antivirus out there. It never annoys me unless it sees something nasty go by. It doesn't put a strain on my system. It doesn't bother me constantly about renewing anything. It doesn't prevent me from going to any websites or from setting up a networkable printer (which I've seen several times with stupid Norton). MSE gets out of my way and gives me some security.

I would say that combining MSE with the free version of Malwarebytes (which you run every once and a while), is all you really need.