Originally Posted By: taym

never the OS was compromised, and we don't reinstall the OS for years (3 to 5, which is simply the life-cycle of the hardware), and never because it "naturally slows down" as the common popular belief would suggest: never we've seen performances decrease because of simple, standard daily usage by a very wide range of different users, ranging from complete user illiterates to fairly advanced ones, all with everage/high level of education.

Unfortunately that completely fails as soon as an end user owns a Windows machine. I've never quite worked out why, but most of my friends can turn a perfectly ok Windows machine into a slow bloated thing within 12 months.

They never seem to have installed anything particularly interesting, but whatever it is it slows them down. Occasionally I can track down what is dragging it down and improve matters. But I'm afraid most of the time my advice has to be reinstall the lot.

This has never really been my experience with my own Windows machines, but just about every non techie friend I know has the same effect on their Windows machine in the end.

For what it is worth, I think Win7 is a better than OSX. I now use OSX as my daily OS, but that is only because I think the Apple hardware is the best you can buy. For me OSX is still not as stable as Windows (I can count on one hand the number of blue screens of death I've had since WinXP arrived). I can't say the same about kernel panics on OSX frown

If I wasn't for Chrome and VirtualBox I'd probably be booting this MacBook into Win7 rather than running OSX wink

And that isn't to say there aren't lots of good things about OSX, but it does get some very basic things horribly wrong. Like window management and Finder for a start.