Originally Posted By: Archeon
Ah, so malwarebytes is also just another AV program? I thought malware was a different category alltogether, thus requiring a different approach.

Nope, just a regular antivirus. Some programs use different methods to detect viruses, but they're still just antivirus programs. The free version of Malwarebytes has to be run manually, and the paid version includes a live scanner. If I were to pay for an antivirus, personally I'd use Malwarebytes. It seems to be the only one that identifies and removes those fake antivirus viruses. Or at least it did until those guys got better about getting around almost anything.

These days, some of these viruses are so bad that the only thing I can use is Combofix, which I try to save as a last resort. I haven't had it mess anything up, but the potential is there, and it can mess with settings and applications. Still, it's one of the few weapons that work against many of the more infected machines.

But that's not something you have to worry about. You aren't the type who is going to let a virus like that get ahold of your system. These viruses typically start as a pop-up, and trick a user into clicking on them by claiming they're infected. No matter how many times I warn some of my clients, they'll still click on those fave AV's. I feel like I should make them a sign that says "If it doesn't say Microsoft Security Essentials, DON'T CLICK ON IT!" But they still would...