Originally Posted By: Dignan

But seriously, why have everything you do run past two sets of eyes? If you have a decent AV you shouldn't need a second one, and it'll make your computer happier. It's not really going to help you anyway.

Ah, so malwarebytes is also just another AV program? I thought malware was a different category alltogether, thus requiring a different approach. I'd rather also squash the infection as it is happening than clean up the mess afterwards, hence the lookout for a utility that does real-time scanning. Of course, if all this is not the case, then I can just as well stay with my NOD32 (which I've been happy with for a long time) and indeed use the free version of Malwarebytes now and then.

I've also heard good things about Bitdefender. It's malwareprotection is supposed to be pretty good, as well as it's virus squashing ability. The only problem is I have no idea how slow it might make my pc.
Does anybody have any info on that?

I really think you're being a little more scared of viruses than you probably need to be. Your language makes it seem like you're peeking around every corner of the web, afraid that a criminal is right on the other side ready to accost you.

No, not at all. I'm sorry if I made it seem that way, but I'm not paranoid about security at all. I just like to be prepared to the best of my ability. For years, I also didn't use an AV suite (only since the last 5 years or so)

Here's what I suggest to my clients:
MSE
Google Chrome browser (I like Adblock Plus but some have understandable ethical issues with it)
Windows Firewall enabled
An average router
Malwarebytes (run every month or so if it makes you feel better)
TDSSKiller (for rootkits - same frequency)

Thanks for that list, that may come in handy in the future! Also, thanks for your feedback!