Originally Posted By: drakino
This is what I don't understand. One semi major incident means that OS X instantly loses the safer title?
[...]
If you go back and look at Apple's claims, they never said virus proof, or any sort of similar language. Their direct claim was that their platform didn't suffer the same sorts of problems that Windows did.

- Current OSX is not >inherently<, per se, a safer OS than any competitor. It is simply benefiting from not having been targeted as much. And this is not to say that Windows/Linux/whatever "are better" than OSX or viceversa, or to foster any specific fandom point of view. Both statemets would be wrong unless you narrow them down significantly to focus on specific features or paradigms, and highly subject to personal preferences. And even more so, this is not saying that the producer overall as a corporation is better than another corporation overall. In what way would it make sense?
The fact is that OSs come with bugs, and their users are not from different breeds: they all can be fooled.

- Until today Apple has deliberately and openly fueled with clear and effective advertising the popular myth according to which Apple products "don't get viruses" (whatever that actually means in technical terms). The "I am a PC-I am a Mac" commercial you linked is as irresponsible as it gets. It does not elaborate, explain, or put any disclaimer on screen. It actually makes many users feel safe when they're not. The target audience of that commercial is not the tech savvy, and the message anybody w/o advanced/average IT knowledge gets is that a PC sneezes while the Mac does not and is not scared to stand next to it. The fact that they have not precisely stated that Macs are invulnerable to virues is at the same time true and a devil's advocate's argument to defend Apple.

Apple can make mistakes, both technical and ethical, like any other company. And like any other company, they actually do make them every now and then.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg