Originally Posted By: Archeon
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Whatever you end up doing, don't install two real-time virus scanners.

Why not? Does this significantly slow down your system or something?

Which suspenders would you like to wear with that belt?

But seriously, why have everything you do run past two sets of eyes? If you have a decent AV you shouldn't need a second one, and it'll make your computer happier. It's not really going to help you anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Dignan

At the end of the day, the best antivirus is good user behavior. I've been rocking MSE for years now, and haven't had a virus in that time, but none of these programs are 100%.

Agreed, but back in the day you only had to be aware of your email attachments. Nowadays, simply clicking on the 'wrong link' is bad. There's no way of checking that beforehand and cautious surfing beaviour won't help you here.

I really think you're being a little more scared of viruses than you probably need to be. Your language makes it seem like you're peeking around every corner of the web, afraid that a criminal is right on the other side ready to accost you.

What I was trying to say before was that I've been using plain old MSE for years now, with nothing but the Windows firewall and a router, and I haven't had a disaster yet (*knock knock!*). Even if it did, I have all my data backed up.*

Here's what I suggest to my clients:
MSE
Google Chrome browser (I like Adblock Plus but some have understandable ethical issues with it)
Windows Firewall enabled
An average router
Malwarebytes (run every month or so if it makes you feel better)
TDSSKiller (for rootkits - same frequency)