Originally Posted By: Dignan
Whatever you end up doing, don't install two real-time virus scanners.

Why not? Does this significantly slow down your system or something?

At the end of the day, the best antivirus is good user behavior. I've been rocking MSE for years now, and haven't had a virus in that time, but none of these programs are 100%.

Agreed, but back in the day you only had to be aware of your email attachments. Nowadays, simply clicking on the 'wrong link' is bad. There's no way of checking that beforehand and cautious surfing beaviour won't help you here.

The reason I decided to go with MSE was that it was the most lightweight antivirus out there. It never annoys me unless it sees something nasty go by. It doesn't put a strain on my system. It doesn't bother me constantly about renewing anything. It doesn't prevent me from going to any websites or from setting up a networkable printer (which I've seen several times with stupid Norton). MSE gets out of my way and gives me some security.

I have the same feeling about NOD32. It's never failed me, not once. But multiple online review I've read seem to indicate that their live scanning could be improved, especially when it comes to rootkits. This is the reason I've started to look at alternatives.