Thank you Taym overall for sharing your experiences with the 8TB archive drive from Seagate. I may now seek out a pair of them.

In my absence, a 2 TB seagate drive in the NAS that holds the backups for this site went into a degraded. It's up over 1000 uncorrectable errors. And unfortunately the second drive in the RAID 1 pair also has some issues spinning up at times, so the mirror was out of sync. I ignored some warning signs that this could happen, so the outcome isn't too surprising.

It's got me rethinking my home storage overall now, earlier then planned. Thankfully backups for the site are okay still, as they are now being routed to my second NAS that runs RAID 5 across 4 disks.

One unfortunate thing, I can't find a retailer that stocks these 8TB drives in a SATA internal form factor. I share some of Mark's concerns over buying such high capacity spinning disks from an online retailer. The warranty goes out the window if the casing of the external drives that hold this 8TB archive drive is removed.

Temp wise, the drives in the failing NAS never went above 35C during their busy times of trying to resync.