Quote:
I am also not one to argue for the inclusion of ID in schools, though I would like to see evolution NOT be taught in schools. I'd prefer the whole issue not be addressed at all as long as the education is public and provided by the government.

This is an interesting angle on the debate. Question 1: is it appropriate to teach comparative religion courses, cultural studies courses, and so forth? Question 2: is it appropriate to teach the science of biology?

I'll argue that Q1 is entirely appropriate for public schools. How can you study history without understanding the religious motives that have driven it? There's no way to understand the Crusades without understanding the Crusaders. Similar themes drive many recent political issues (see, e.g., Catholic v. Protestant Ireland, Pakistan v. India, Sunni v. Shiite Arabs, etc.). The trick is to study religion, dispationately, as part of the belief systems of the people who act throughout history, rather than as something that is "true" or "false".

I'll also argue that Q2 is obviously appropriate for public schools. Every student should learn basic mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology, among other things. And, you cannot even begin to properly study biology without understanding evolution. Learning biology without evolution is akin to learning computer science without programming. Yeah, you might learn some valuable things, but programming is what makes it all go. The problem, for some Christians, is that the centrality of evolution to biology (combined with the increasingly obvious presence of biological engineering in our daily lives) seems to threaten their religious beliefs. You seem to be able to reconcile evolution with your own beliefs. I'd expect that others could make similar accomodations, but it's surprising how they instead try to attack evolution with flakey arguments.