I'm making predictions based on the information that's out there, but I'm not arguing whether someone should personally like one product over the other. I don't have an iPhone now, I am almost always hyper-critical of Apple and I also don't intend to buy a Pre.

I'm also extremely technology jaded, so 99% of everything announced at shows like CES doesn't impress me in the least. The effect is even more pronounced when I attend the shows and wander as well as systematically hit up display after display.

This year didn't offer anything new at CES. And the Pre, fit right in there. It's not significant in my opinion. At least not to the industry. It is for Palm because they've been stuck in a vortex for years. It's better conceived than their Folio product and looks like it will actually make it into the channel, but I believe it's too little too late for them and don't have a problem sharing that opinion. I don't know why anyone would want to make me believe otherwise.

I also don't own stock in any of the companies mentioned in this entire thread so there's currently no financial stake riding on the product successes/misses.

Originally Posted By: andy
Nokia need to do a lot of catching up on Apple (and the Pre) otherwise I reckon they will be in big trouble in a couple of years

I think Nokia will do okay for now and also come out in decent shape in the future. They have always had a large portfolio and I don't see that changing. The new class of media/communicator device isn't for everyone and Nokia (and others) will have plenty of financial opportunities in other categories even if their smartphone sales dramatically drop. I expect they can quite easily outcompete Palm on a global scale. If anyone continues to be in serious danger it's Motorola. I said it 4 years ago to friends - "these guys are going to be in trouble when their razr bubble bursts."