Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
[RANT]SWMBO downloads pictures from her camera, the Macintosh sucks them up and stores them someplace and she can view them anytime she wants with some sort of Macintosh picture viewing software, but God help her if she wants to attach one of them to an email. Apple's policy of hiding all the ugly nuts and bolts of system level operations from the user makes me crazy. [/RANT]

This is one of the reasons I like my Mac and the programs it comes with. The computer handles the mundane tasks, I can handle the actual getting work done tasks. I plug in a camera, and import photos. I don't care where or how they are stored, just that said operation happens. Then up to an hour later, the backup kicks in and makes sure I now have a redundant copy stored off on the NAS. I don't want to manage hundreds of date labeled folders full of photos, I want to manage events, faces and such to find photos easier, and know all my work is backed up and safe.

As far as mailing a photo, there are many easy ways, all that don't require ever bothering with low level files. Bitt explained drag and drop. There is also a Photo Browser button in the toolbar when composing e-mail that shows me the photos in the same organization structure iPhoto uses. Or I can go to Attach File under the File menu, get a finder browser, and also a media browser that does the same as the Photo Browser button. Lastly, I could just click the Mail button from iPhoto.

Under the hood, I know where all the files are, since a context click (right click) on a photo allows me to reveal the source file. If I choose to move to another platform (Windows or Linux), I can easily still get to the files. If I wanted everything, I'd just copy my User folder, since everything is in there, but none of my installed applications to bloat the size.

As for iTunes, I'm still in middle ground there, and haven't fully moved away from my manual file managing days. iTunes has a decent selection of what music I want randomly synced to my phone, along with all of my podcasts. The main reason I even considered an iPod and iTunes years back was due to the lack of a seamless podcast solution with other products. I want my system to download the podcasts automatically, delete ones I've listened to, and sync new ones to whatever device.