Originally Posted By: andym
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: andym
Why is it no different than me trying to impersonate a college student to avoid paying full price entry at the cinema?

Sorry, but another bad analogy. The only way to make that one work is if the theater had a table where you could fill out a form saying that you were a college student, even if you weren't, and then you could get the discount.

Sorry, how is that a bad analogy? To qualify for student prices you need to be able to present an NUS card. If I forged a card and presented it, I could probably pass myself off as a student and get the discount. But I don't do that because I'm not a cheap bastard, unlike Palm.....

Sorry, my analogy wasn't all that great either, but I said it was a bad analogy because there are already "non-students" (Blackberry) that can go through an annoying process like "filling out some paperwork" (Media Sync) to get the discount, even though they aren't "real students" (iPods).

In the end, what I should have said is that I don't care much for analogies for technology issues. I don't think they clarify very much at all.

Originally Posted By: drakino
Yep, and there are 3rd party MP3 players and phones that sync directly with iTunes because the companies that made them worked out agreements with Apple.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Could you give me a few examples?

Still, I wonder how the conversation would go now that Apple is on top and the #1 music store is selling their hardware for them.