Finally tried out a Pre today at the local Sprint store prior to getting my 3GS. First impressions were good, with the interface working decently. Multitasking worked, and the phone was responsive enough, though it did chug from time to time, even with most apps closed. Probably a 1.0 thing that I'm sure will improve, especially considering the Pre is very similar spec wise to the 3GS.

The first annoyance came though when it was time to type something. The keyboard is pretty bad. The keys are just way too tiny, and I was finding that I mashed a lot of keys at once frequently. Interestingly, it seemed like the phone does seem to have software to prevent issues when multiple keys are mashed, but this wasn't 100%. Over time, I don't see myself growing into the keyboard as well as I did the virtual one on the iPhone. What was really bad was when it came time to type symbols. I gave up on typing my BBS password in pretty quickly.

Overall, the experience was good, and if I didn't already own an iPhone (and now a new one), I'd consider it above a Blackberry or Windows phone. I'd want a better keyboard though to be really happy with it long term.