I haven't read anyone mentioning that buying Palm would give them a quick roll-out of a new product. It's certainly not what I think. But using their current products with some retooling is a lot faster than developing any OS from scratch.

I think it would probably be wasted on Motorola as I mentioned, and for Dell it would be like throwing millions of dollar bills out the window. Dell doesn't look like it has any future in Mobile. They're a quasi-house-hold name for cheap PCs. No one thinks mobile (phone or otherwise) when they think Dell.

That comment from Ed Colligan a few years ago saying that PC guys can't just move into the mobile space was proven wrong by Apple. But I don't believe any other PC company could have done it, even if handed a fully functional OS. Look, Android has been available for a while and we haven't seen any PC brand do anything significant with it in mobile.

I haven't spend much time thinking of the acquisition angle, but as a long-term solution it could be good for someone like Nokia or RIM.